Catalonia is an outstanding hub of clinical research and innovation in Southern Europe. In this context, BCTP provides the coordination, integration, quality and speed necessary to carry out clinical trials within the public healthcare system.
By joining forces, the 8 members of the Barcelona Clinical Trials Platform offer their great potential for conducting trials, recruiting patients and getting results:
- As of January 2015, there were 2,740 sites participating in clinical trials, with a total of 13,498 patients recruited. The vast majority of the patients were involved in phase III trials (44%), followed by those in phase IV (25%).
- In total, BCTP features 2,000 experienced clinical-trial researchers.
- 2,515 sites participating in clinical trials underway between 2012 and 2014, with 78% of participation in the pre-registration phases (phase I, II and III). The main areas in which trials are conducted include oncology (35%), infectious diseases (10%), respiratory diseases (7%) and neurodegenerative diseases (7%).
- 1,487 sites participating in clinical trials completed between 2012 and 2014, with 13,287 patients recruited.
- 55% of clinical trials conducted in Spain are submitted to Ethics Committees in Catalonia.